Why do certain critics love trash and trash the movies you love? Maybe it’s because they were dropped on their heads as infants. Maybe it’s their upbringing. Or maybe it’s purely a matter of bad genes.
We’ve invited our writers to introduce themselves so that perhaps you can get a better insight into their unfathomable minds.
Who are you?
(As of February 10, 2008)
Median rating: 3 stars
Average rating: 2.96 stars
Number of reviews: 99
- About Us: John Adams: Painting, futurism, and dragsters
- About Us: Ryan Hurtig: Movies... and TV shows, sports, video games...
- About Us: Risë Keller: Booster, hippie, drone, mom, hipster
- About Us: Matt Anderson: I'm Mattman.
- About Us: Pablo Kjolseth: Big screen time travel, traumatizing children
- About Us: Marty Mapes: Science, essays, and human behavior
- You're Too Kind: Movie Habit gives 3 stars, on average. We break it down for you.
- About Us: Anand Ramachandran: Woody Allen, Ricky Bobby, Lizzy Borden 2
What are your writing credentials?
I have a degree in journalism from the University of Colorado. I spent a couple of semesters writing for the student paper, where I think I wrote exactly one movie review.
What are your movie credentials?
They have always interested me. Even when I was a little kid, I would look at the movie ads in the local paper. They fascinated me, for some reason.
I’ve also taken a few film studies classes at CU (that’s where I met Marty).
Why should anyone listen to your opinion?
I’ve seen a lot of movies and I have a pretty good idea of what works on the big screen and what doesn’t .
Movie pet peeves?
Remakes, especially big-screen remakes of TV shows. Some are better than the originals and I’ll even admit to enjoying some (see Guilty Pleasures below), but just think of how many independent films could have been made for the price of one Dukes of Hazzard.
Rude movie audiences, don’t even get me started on that.
Do you have any non-movie habits?
Reading, reading and then more reading. I also enjoy walking and biking around Boulder.
Give us some movie recommendations.
Casablanca; Twelve Monkeys; Dead Again; The Good, the Bad , and the Ugly; Meet Me in St. Louis; The Umbrellas of Cherbourg.
What are some of your guilty pleasures?
Action movies, superhero movies, kung fu movies. I even kinda sorta enjoyed The Dukes of Hazzard while I was watching it, but like polishing off that whole bag of tortilla chips in one sitting, I regretted it later.