If you’re a truly devoted fan of film critic Marty Mapes, you may recall reading some devilish end-of-year movie quote contests. Well, he’s back, with 30 quotes from 2002.
Give yourself 1 point each for movie and speaker and see how you stack up.
0-8: You need to get out more
8-18: See you at the cineplex
18-28: Not bad. I prescribe The Video Station and the Movie Habit DVD/Video page
28-38: You have very good taste in movies
38-48: Film school, right?
48-53: You are a credit to any trivia team
54-58: Why aren't you writing for Movie Habit?
58-62: You need to get out more
1. Ben Affleck, Changing Lanes
2. Michael Moore, Bowling for Columbine
3. Tim Roth, Invincible
4. Max von Sydown, Minority Report
5. Jack Nicholson, About Schmidt
6. Arnold Scwharzenegger, Collateral Damage
7. Daveigh Chase, Spirited Away
8. Ralph Fiennes, Maid in Manhattan
9. Daniel Day-Lewis, Gangs of New York
10. Robin Williams, One Hour Photo
11. Alan King, Sunshine State
12. Leonardo DiCaprio, Catch Me If You Can
13. Hugh Grant, Two Weeks Notice
14. Kenneth Branagh, Harry Potter II
15. Adam Sandler, Punch-Drunk Love
16. Nicole Kidman, The Hours
17. Andy Serkis, The Two Towers
18. Grant Heslov, The Scorpion King
19. Jeremy Renner, Dahmer
20. Queen Latifah, Chicago
21. Jason Statham, The Transporter
22. Reese Witherspoon, Sweet Home Alabama
23. Jason Isaacs, The Tuxedo
24. Maggie Gyllenhaal, Secretary
25. James Coburn, who died in 2002, The Man from Elysian Fields
26. Queen Latifah, Chicago
27. Brent Spiner, Star Trek: Nemesis
28. Eminem, 8 Mile
29. William Hurt, Tuck Everlasting
30. Brian Cox, Adaptation
We considered setting up a contest, with a fee to enter and winners getting some sort of prize. We also considered selling the answers as a Movie Habit fundraiser. In the end we decided simply to show you the quotes this week and not show you the answers until next week.
Each quote below comes from a 2002 movie. For each one, see if you can identify both the movie and the speaker.
- Sometimes God likes to put two guys in a paper bag and just let ‘em rip
- Here’s my first question. Do you think it’s a little dangerous handing out guns at a bank?
- We will Aryanize you
- You shouldn’t trust anyone — certainly not the Attorney General
- Dear Ndugu, I hope you’re sitting down because I’ve got some bad news...
- So you want collateral damage, huh? I’ll give you collateral damage.
- There’s mom and dad’s pig-pen!
- ...well then you should have worn a different dress
- I’ll festoon my bedchamber with his guts!
- I was here. I existed. I was young and I was happy and someone cared enough about me in this world to take my picture.
- Nature is overrated
- I sort of am a lawyer now
- Well, I own the hotel and I live there. My life is very much like Monopoly.
- Pixies can be devilishly tricky little blighters
- I have to get more pudding
- I was going to kill my heroine but I’ve changed my mind
- Nice hobbitses
- Nobody goes into the valley of death. That’s why they call it the valley of death.
- What’s weird is when you go to church and eat the body and blood of Christ.
- In this town, murder is a form of entertainment
- Transportation is a very precise business
- You know, I’ve never completely understood that expression, but no, I’m not shitting you
- 90% of it is in the clothes
- I’m sorry about the typo
- I’ll never have it better than I did in this lifetime (2 bonus points for identifying the off-screen relevance of this quote)
- I deserve a lot of ‘tat’ for what I’ve got to give
- Ladies and gentlemen, and invited transgendered forms...
- Yeah they call me rabbit; this is a turtle race
- Don’t be afraid of death, be afraid of the unlived life
- God help you if you write voiceover